December 30, 2008

Communally not stepping on glasses

This past friday I went to the Cabooze to see Trampled by Turtles a bluegrass sounding band from Duluth. Without knowing the music very well I was surprisingly engaged by the tempo and excitement of the music. After not too long into their set I myself joined the fray in front of the stage amongst the sweaty and slightly bearded crowd. During such excitement a man in front of me suddenly grabbed the friend next to him and yelled something, they threw up their hands and then bent down patting the ground in search of some indiscernible object. The common reaction I feel would typically be to ignore and go about ones business, yet those around the men formed a circle. At the outside of the circle I peered down at the floor thinking I might find that four leaf clover that the men may have misplaced. The crown still jubilant around us were noticeably less active then our small after the man emerged with an expensive looking pair of glasses in hand. Perhaps he should have chosen something more like this for the concert.

















We rejoiced in the mans pleasure and the energy of the music, it was that communal feeling that I hope to have more often. Even though I had no previous though or interest in this man's glasses I became involved.
I thought of this moment after watching Ram Dass: Fierce Grace its odd how moving old hippies can be.

No comments: